Pablo Palazuelo (Madrid, 1915–2007) studied at the School of Architecture in Madrid and at the School of Arts and Crafts at Oxford University. From 1939 he devoted himself fully to painting. He lived in Paris between 1948 and 1963, where he came into contact with artists such as Eduardo Chillida and prominent representatives of concrete-geometric art such as Ellsworth Kelly. From then on, he identified with Constructivism and so-called geometric abstraction. His work reflects his interest in mathematics, philosophy, alchemy and the Kabbalah. Considered one of the key figures of Spanish postwar abstraction, in his work he pursued a synthesis between construction and mysticism, formulating the aesthetic principle of ‘transgeometry’. An interest in numbers, lines, rhythm and energy ran through his work, although he never abandoned the materiality of the brushstroke and the idea of process.
Palazuelo joined the Maeght Gallery in Paris, which held his first solo exhibition in 1955. From the seventies, he exhibited regularly in Paris, Barcelona and Madrid. His many retrospectives include the Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía, Madrid (1995), MACBA, Barcelona (2006) and Guggenheim Museum, Bilbao (2007). His work is included in such collections as Artium, Vitoria-Gasteiz; “La Caixa”, Barcelona; Fundación Juan March, Madrid; Musée d'Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris; Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía, Madrid; Solomon Guggenheim, New York; and MACBA, Barcelona.