Sense títol. Sèrie: "Irreversible" / "Impossible", 1975
Ritual objects particularly stand out amongst the many series of objects produced by Jaume Xifra. Here is where we find these Reliquaries (1969–1971) and the Irreversibles/Impossibles Series (1972–1976). Both series were associated with his return to Europe after a stage in Chile in 1968–1969, where he collaborated in the cooperative craft studios at Huaquén. When he returned to Paris he did so with an idea of a more participative form of art, which is where his idea emerged to make objects as reliquaries. His intention was for them to help us in our personal lives, and with memory, contemplation and purification. With the Impossibles, in turn, he uses common instruments like scissors, pliers and nails, wrapping them with barbed wire to impede them from being used, eliminating their functionality. The Irreversibles, for their part, draw viewers in by asking them to change the object’s position or just as well destroy it.
- Original title:
- Sense títol. Sèrie: "Irreversible" / "Impossible"
- Registration number:
- Xifra, Jaume
- Date created:
- MACBA Collection. Barcelona City Council long-term. Gift of Rafael Tous (in process of being incorporated)
- Object type:
- Wire and ceramics on marbre slab
- 37 x 25 x 16 cm. (height x width x depth)
- MACBA Collection. Long-term loan of Barcelona City Council. Gift of Rafael Tous
- © Jaume Xifra, VEGAP, Barcelona
- It has accessibility resources:
The MACBA Collection features Catalan, Spanish and international art and, although it includes works from the 1920s onwards, its primary focus is on the period between the 1960s and the present.
For more information on the work or the artist, please consult MACBA's Library. To request a loan of the work, please write to colleccio [at] macba.cat.
If you need a high resolution image of the work, you must submit an image loan request.