'Volume! Works from the Collections of the ”la Caixa” Exhibition views, Foundation and MACBA' 2011-2012
09 Nov. 2011 - 23 Apr. 2012 MACBA
The Museu d'Art Contemporani de Barcelona (MACBA) presents the first collaborative exhibition combining works form the collections of "la Caixa" Foundation and MACBA Collection, as a result of an agreement between "la Caixa" Foundation and MACBA Foundation.
The MACBA Collection is designed to provide an organising framework for the Museum programme as a whole. Eschewing chronological and linear readings, the Collection proposes new, interrelated narratives that connect the past with the future through the present. Whilst the Collection is organised around thematic cores (critique of representation, play and pleasure, institutional critique and the media, the poetic experience, language and its capacity for expression, television, theatre, film, dance and its hybrids as languages that transform art, etc.), it also embodies a new interest in productions that use sound and the human voice as key materials in the creation of art.
Volume proposes an interpretation of the transition from the 20th to the 21st century based on a paradigm shift in the art in terms of materials, sensory aspects and programme. Questioning the clichés that identify the 80s with the supremacy of painting, the exhibition places the pre-eminence of sculpture and photography at the centre of change at the turn of the new century. Volume sees the turn of the century coincide with the consolidation of sound and the artist's own voice as the principal materials in art production today. Echoing the formal and material innovations introduced by the historic avant-gardes in the early 20th century, contemporary artistic practice has replaced the eye as the crucial sense to reinstate the hearing in a real and contingent body. Restored to his or her body, the spectator acquires a near-choreographic quality. The three-dimensional nature of the Euclidean volume (from classical physics) is replaced by the volume of sounds and voices. This change in material works profound changes on the perceptive system and on behaviour: based on the convention dominated by what is visual, we begin to narrate a multi-sensory history of art.
Curator: Bartomeu Marí. Head of the MACBA Collection: Antònia Maria Perelló. With the collaboration of Nimfa Bisbe, director of ”la Caixa” Foundation Contemporary Art Collection.
Organised and produced by: Museu d'Art Contemporani de Barcelona (MACBA).
- Add to Itinerary
- Compartir Snapshots of the Art System in Spain, 1982-2012
- Calendar Snapshots of the Art System in Spain, 1982-2012
- Add to Itinerary
- Compartir Guided tour to the 'Volume!' exhibition
- Calendar Guided tour to the 'Volume!' exhibition
Exclusive to the Friends of MACBA
- Data inici:
- From 21 Nov. 2011
- Data fi:
- to17 Jan. 2012
- RWM Specials: FONS AUDIO. #12 Kristin Oppenheim +info
- RWM Curatorial: INTERRUPTIONS #7. The mix presented here investigates the artistic use of breath. +info
- Guided tour by Antònia M. Perelló to the Friends of MACBA to the second floor of the Museum (available only in Catalan) +info
- Guided tour by Antònia M. Perelló to the Friends of MACBA to the first floor of the Museum (Available only in Spanish) +info
- RWM Son[i]a: Bartomeu Marí i Ninfa Bisbe hablan de "¡Volumen! Obras de las colecciones de la Fundación "la Caixa" y del MACBA". +info
- RWM Specials: FONS AUDIO #11. Muntadas +info
- Exhibition brochurepdf — 94.3K