Rodney Graham "Rheinmetall / Victoria 8", 2003
30 Jan. 2010 - 18 May 2010 MACBA
- 12 June 2010 - 26 Sep. 2010
- Museum für Gegenwartskunst de Basilea
- 22 Oct. 2010 - 23 Jan. 2011
- Hamburger Kunsthalle, Hamburg
In the biography of Rodney Graham (1949, Abbotsford, Canada) published in the exhibition catalogue, Grant Arnold recounts how on one of his many childhood strolls through the forests on the outskirts of Vancouver, Graham fainted while swinging near a ravine. Only the chance intervention of a tree trunk floating in the stream allowed young Graham to walk away from the accident unscathed. Years later, in 1976, Rodney Graham began his professional artistic career with a work that was strongly influenced by forests: 75 Polaroids, a series of snapshots taken at night in the Canadian woods. In 1994, the artist took advantage of a trip to Barcelona for an exhibition organised by Fundació Espai Poblenou to make a nocturnal trip to the mountains of Montserrat, which resulted in a new forest series of eighty polaroids: Montserrat. The title of the exhibition Rodney Graham. Through the Forest is also a reference to one of the key phrases of the English translation of the novel by German playwright Georg Büchner, Lenz (1835), which deals with the romantic theme of being lost in the forest. Graham appropriated this text in his homonymous work, Lenz (1983). The exhibition presented the forest as a leitmotiv, a place and a metaphor for the work of Rodney Graham, which is rooted in the conceptual art of the eighties and which playfully and theatrically explores the history of the art of our time through a complex collection of literary appropriations, films, photographs and paintings.
- Add to Itinerary
- Compartir Lecture by Lynne Cooke on the exhibition "Rodney Graham. Through the Forest"
- Calendar Lecture by Lynne Cooke on the exhibition "Rodney Graham. Through the Forest"
- Add to Itinerary
- Compartir "But Where's the Coast?*" Rodney Graham and Art in Vancouver
- Calendar "But Where's the Coast?*" Rodney Graham and Art in Vancouver
Lecture by Grant Arnold on the exhibition Rodney Graham. Through the Forest