- Art & Language Uncompleted. The Philippe Méaille Collection Art & Language, Carles Guerra, Matthew Jesse Jackson, Bartomeu Marí, Philippe Méaille
- Xavier Ribas. Nitrate Pablo Artaza, Carles Guerra, Max Jorge Hinderer, Andrea Josch, Alberto Martín, Louise Purbrick, Mabel Loomis Todd
The MACBA Collection, the backbone of the Museum, starts off with works produced in the second half of the twentieth century and steers a course through the key developments in contemporary artistic creation, while at the same time contributing to the activation of critical memory. A range of publications regularly present and update different aspects of the MACBA Collection.
The MACBA rounds off its activities with a cultural and educational programme that bridges all of the Museum’s lines of work. The flow of thought generated by the seminars, lectures, film programmes and other activities is made available to the public through this series of books of essays.
The Contratextos collection is the result of a collaboration between MACBA and the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB). It is designed as a platform for publishing texts from the seminars, courses and lectures held at the Museum. This collection offers a series of reflections that are fundamental for institutional critical practice and a theoretical framework for rethinking the relationships between art, education and the social sciences. Click here to see all available titles in this editorial line.
- En torno a la investigación artística. Pensar y enseñar arte: entre la práctica y la especulación teórica Tony Brown, Guadalupe Echevarria, Dora García, Dieter Lesage, Natascha Sadr Haghighian, Jan Verwoert
Desacuerdos is a collaborative project involving several Spanish cultural institutions, which set out to track cultural practices, models and counter-models that do not correspond to the dominant structures, policies and practices that have prevailed in Spain since the transition to democracy.
Desacuerdos highlights the points of dissonance and contamination inherent to a highly complex cultural process, in order to counteract the inertias of the dominant historiography and suggest possible openings for future research.
Sèrie Capella MACBA is a collection of publications in three languages (Catalan, Spanish and English) that is distributed free of charge on the internet. The texts offer a new insight into artistic production in the framework of the installations on show at La Capella MACBA, all of which share a common denominator: they were specifically produced to be exhibited in this particular venue. The texts are presented in downloadable, printable PDF format. This series is supported by Edicions de La Central, and is also available as a print edition at La Central bookshop, for 4 euros.
Quaderns portàtils (Portable Notebooks) is a collection that is distributed free of charge on the internet. In general, the texts are based on lectures and seminars that have been held at MACBA, as well as exhibition catalogues that are currently out of print. The texts are published in downloadable, printable PDF format. The text layout is designed to allow different kinds of binding, from basic stapling to Japanese binding, so that the end result can be similar to a conventional publication.
- Activar los archivos, descentralizar a las musas Walter Mignolo
- Aura and Temporality: The Insistence of the Archive Wolfgang Ernst
- October and the Problem of Formalism Peter Osborne
- We can’t promise to do more than experiment Ana Janevski
- Fragment, experiment, dissonant prologue: modernism, realism and the photodocument John Roberts
- Pobles exposats, pobles figurants Georges Didi-Huberman
Quaderns d'àudio (Audio Notebooks) is a collection based on texts relating to RWM programming. The objective of these publications is to complement the lines of work developed by the radio through the critical edition of hard-to-find works that are important for understanding and delving into sound art.
The texts are presented in downloadable, printable PDF format. The text layout allows different forms of binding, from basic stapling to Japanese binding, so that the end result can be similar to a conventional publication.
- Processes and systems in computer music; from meta to matter Tony Myatt
- The Road to Plunderphonia Chris Cutler
- Radio Music Jon Leidecker
- Cuaderno de Yokohoma Llorenç Barber
- BLACKOUT. Representation, transformation and de-control in the sound work of Yasunao Tone Roc Jiménez de Cisneros
Índex focused on artistic research, thought and education. The journal aimed to generate theoretical texts in order to contribute to the renewal of culture, and to provide a test bed for the construction of a new critical language that encourages thinking through art and from the perspective of art.
The journal Índex was released biannually in May and October and distributed free of charge in three languages: Catalan, Spanish and English. It can be consulted online.